Saturday, November 27, 2010

Let My Love Open The Door

When tragedy befalls you
Don't let them bring you down
Love can cure your problem
You're so lucky I'm around
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart
 -Pete Townshend

The human heart is crafty.

Sometimes, it seems as though we have no control over our feelings and it causes us to do things we could have never logically brought ourselves to do...and yet here we stand as emotional wrecks.

I've written about balance in the past and that we have to find a happy center between heart, body and mind. I stand by this belief but I can't get away from how emotions operate and effect us personally.

I've heard it said in the past that we should not trust our emotions, for they will lie to us. I cannot agree with this statement. I submit that we simply misinterpret what our emotions are trying to tell us, because they also have the capacity to protect our hearts just as much as they can destroy them.

There's nothing wrong with feeling vulnerable when it's with the right person/persons. If we don't let those closest to us into our hearts, how are we going to be able to share them with the world?

Sure, people will let us down, that's a guarantee.


Mumford & Sons opens up a song declaring: I, I can't promise you that I won't let you down.

Isn't that the truth? If more relationships started off with this declaration we'd be in much better shape.

Risk is an essential part of feeling. We will never be able to fully love without the ability to let others in. We can give and give and give ourselves until there's nothing left to give and it will be all in vain if we were too stubborn to invite others along for the journey.

It will not happen over night. Trust takes time. Trust takes patience. Trust takes endurance.

You'll know who the right people are when they're willing to climb over that wall surrounding your heart.

Those are the people that no matter how chaotic life becomes, will be standing at your side in full support of who you are.

"Turns out there are few things more chaotic than the beat of a human heart. Speeding up, slowing down. A flight of stairs, a pretty face. Constantly changing depending on what’s happening to us out there. It’s an erratic little son-of-a-bitch. But under all that bump-a-da-bump mess there is a pattern. An order. A simple truth. It’s called love.”
-Chaos Theory

No comments:

Post a Comment