Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hearts Held Captive

"Fight for the heart of your king!"
-James Douglas; Successor of Robert the Bruce

I just finished reading one of my favorite books for the third time since I first discovered it through a friend,
The Barbarian Way by Erwin Raphael McManus. The book starts with a story about a Celtic Warrior who made an incredible journey. Robert the Bruce, who Americans see as the man who betrayed William Wallace (Mel Gibson) in the movie Braveheart, later went on to lead Scotland to many victories, making up for his act of betrayal.

When Robert the Bruce was on his death bed he asked that his heart be carved out of his chest and be carried with a brave knight to each battle. Some records show he wanted his heart brought to
Jerusalem but that's not the story we're looking at. James Douglas was the man who would carry around his predecessor's heart embalmed into a locket. During a battle, Douglas' men were surrounded and in an act of desperation, he took his King's heart from around his neck and threw it into the crowd of enemy warriors and yelled to his men, "Fight for the Heart of your King!"

Every time I read this story something in my heart reacts. Something inside me wants to stand up and yell at the top of my lungs whether that be audible sounds or just vacant noise.

At times I feel weak.

At times I feel unworthy.

Most of the time I feel unfit to participate in life. I often feel as though I'm only ever going to read about great man and never actually do anything in my life to be remembered as a great man. So much in my life has left me inspired, but then I lose it, quickly or slowly, in the end it makes no difference. I know that I could be doing more with my life and for my King. Right now, I want to communicate an idea and start ask questions...It doesn't matter if they are answered as long as things get moving.

Life is not a game. Life is not something simple where someone can just sit on the sidelines and cheer for the "right" team. Life is real and there are no civilians. Everyone has been given a weapon to participate. Every man, woman, boy or girl can become a casualty.

I want to be someone who will devote myself to an ideal entirely with no exceptions. I don't make assumptions and hopefully never will so that's what brings me to the big question. What are you doing to fight for the heart of your King?

Before you can even answer this question, think about who exactly your King is?

What is it that you are willing to die for?

What is it that your willing to live for?

You can claim you would die for Jesus but until you actually live the way he's called you to live, I don't think you truly are.

So I challenge you, stand up and live so that others may see something different inside of you.

Let's work together to change ourselves so that we can help change the world around us.

It starts with captivation. Until your heart is held captive by the one who made it, you cannot fight to the fullest. It will not be easy and if anyone has promised you that life with God would be easy, they lied or aren't seeking out the challenges God has laid in front of them. God doesn't call us to be mundane, but to shine for the world by capturing his heart. I believe the only way that your heart can be held captive is by doing what James Douglas commanded of his men.

You must fight for the
Heart of your King!

No comments:

Post a Comment