Monday, July 27, 2009

The Night Sky

"You know the Greeks didn't write obituaries. They only asked one question after a man died: 'Did he have passion?'"
-Dean From Serendipity

It shouldn't take a man's death for those around him to stop and ask this question. Recently, I've been thinking about where I'm heading in life and whether or not I have the creative drive to get there.

I've openly discussed having a history with apathetic behavior in the past, and I still struggle with that mindset. I fight it, every day and it would be so easy just to accept how things are, good or bad, and let life happen, with or without leaving a mark on the world.

I was approached about writing for my school's newspaper because "I seem to care about what I write..." First and foremost, I was flattered even though I turned down the offer. It didn't feel right to me. The thing is, I'm a sucker for when people tell me I'm good at something, yet I try to remain humble, but honestly it feels really good. But I didn't feel good, humble, or bad or anything when these nice remarks were made to me.

What I felt was a question sweep through my brain.

Do I care about what I write?

There it is. Such a pivotal question. Do I care about the things I do and have felt I've been gifted with?

If the answer is no, then why not?

If the answer is yes, then why?

Passion: something that is desired intensely.

This is an extreme definition of the word and not really a common one, but it is the opposite of what I feel at times.

I admire those, who have passion gushing from their pores enough so that others feel great about their own, but I don't know if that's me.

I have passion, I think, but sometimes it's hard to see.

It's definitely okay to be a passionate individual and it's probably something to strive for, but something that must always be remembered is that one must always remain humble in everything he/she does.

I'm going to start asking myself every morning if I have passion.

I'm not suggesting that you do the same, but I do suggest finding something that will keep the flame ignited. Let you're daily passion spark what it is inside of you that makes you worth more than what you see in the mirror.

Live so that others may see how it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment