Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Change in Formula

Dream: A condition or achievement that is longed for; an aspiration. 

At my school, there is a constant conversation over the topic of dreams. It's a powerful talk and even more powerful when people become aware of their dreams.

A dream can range from an obscure idea to a very specific vision of what you wish to achieve in the future. Mine is in the middle. I wish to take a part in story through writing, one of the most powerful arts.

The thing is, I've been blessed to be a part of a dream that consists multiple people. I'm not doing this alone. Nothing is better than being able to share your dream with others. Living it through together is powerful.

Last night was a great one for me. I was brainstorming a short film idea with a close friend and it turned into something much more passionate than what appeared to be a surface concept. We continued to incorporate our very souls into this story. No story will reflect our characters more than this one will.

We spoke about what we wanted to accomplish in life and where we would be going because to be a writer you have to be consumed by your imagination. There's this sense of not being able to leave the world's you create because all you wish to do is continue to create! It makes human interaction difficult at times because you can't focus on where you are, all you can think about is the characters you're building in your mind.

Robert McKee, in his book called Story, says this:

"For we not only create stories as metaphors for life, we create them as metaphors for meaningful life-and to live meaningfully is to be at perpetual risk."

My dream is to do as this quote says. Great storytelling is to say, "life is like this______________." I get to fill in the blanks.

It may sound fun, and may sound over the top, but it's also very weighty. Dreams don't always allow you to fly. Sometimes they can leave you stranded on the ground.

So let me ask you, what are your dreams? Whether or not we actually speak about it, try to think it through. Drop logic, drop your overthinking mindset and simply dream.

What happens when you do this?

That's what I'm interested in.

-Chris Peters

1 comment:

  1. I know I don't know you but I'm constantly reading about what other people have to say.

    I have to say that your entry really made me think about my life and what those "dreams" are in my life and what they look like as well.
    When I hear about dreams I always think about being a kid and looking back on what my dreams were then...the more I think about it the more I realize that I had no dreams when I was a kid. I was too busy trying to grow up, trying to get through whatever trial I was facing at that time that I had room for dreams.
    Over the past couple years I've really been focusing on why I feel like I've accomplished nothing in my short 19 years of living (however it feels much longer than that).
    Although those childish dreams quickly fade and we all move onto something else as we get older, I realized that me not dreaming, not having something to to look forward to continued into my young adulthood as well.
    I think I have more dreams now at 19 than I did when I was 5 or 6, which seems quite opposite...but I'll take it :)

    Thanks for sharing & allowing me to share something in return.

    Oh, P.S...It's weird that you said "It makes human interaction difficult at times because you can't focus on where you are, all you can think about is the characters you're building in your mind."
    Last night I was writing in my journal and I was talking about how I as a Christian sometimes feel a little out of everything and in a way sort of uncomfortable in certain situations. I wrote something similar talking about how human interaction can sometimes be that way for me, because there are times when I'm so focued on the fact that we were promised a better life than where we are now that it's only natural for me to feel a little uncomfortable at certain times.
    Don't know if that makes sense or not and you were talking about something different, but I understand that feeling, lol.

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete