Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Heart's Mistake

"Should've held my ground
I could've been redeemed
For every second chance
That changed its mind on me,
I should've spoken up
I should've proudly claimed
That oh my head's to blame
For all my hearts mistakes..."

It's amazing to me how everyone is so different. There are people who run off of emotions and those who are grounded in strict logic. Those who are emotionally driven would compare the logical ones to intellectual robots whereas the converse would liken the others to irrational individuals.

Logical people think everything through and try to objectively weigh out their options in life. They do not allow how they feel to cloud their judgment during a situation. They don't let emotions get in the way of anything. Logical people have multiple scenarios planned out in their mind depending on all outcomes in life.

Those driven by emotions are just the opposite. If something doesn't feel right, they won't do it. In the same manner, if it does feel right, they will do it. They act impulsively and make, what some would call, rash decisions. This breed lives day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute.

Why think about the future when we can be so caught up in the present?

If you know me even a little, you may have an idea where I'm going with this. I believe that in life, moderation is key. There has to be a balance between logic and feelings. You'll hear me say all the time that I trust my gut. My instincts will scream out and warn me of danger yet at the same time on occasion my head will tell me to think something through before rushing in guns a blazing.

I think the problem with living one way or the other is that at the end of the day we need both in order to survive. Both emotions and logic have the capacity to betray you.

Off the top of my head, I can think of two separate people who can be identified by each of these labels. My logical friend is all about explanation. His drive for knowledge is unshakable. I've met very few people who are smarter than this individual, yet at the same time I find it hard to believe he's capable of relating to people of "lesser intelligence."

My emotionally driven friend is just the opposite. He allows his feelings to overwhelm him and ultimately bring him down. While searching for answers he will, in a way, bleed on those around them and unintentionally hurt them while simply trying to get them to sympathize with him. How he treats people depends on what kind of mood he is in.

I know that I sound harsh in regards to the emotionally driven people, but the truth is, they are connected to their emotions and I envy them. Granted, you have to control how you feel, otherwise you're going to be a walking mood swing, but in the end you have to remember who you are and how you feel.

As I mentioned earlier, balance is important and you cannot allow your emotions to control you! I know it is difficult to be in control, but with willpower at the center of it all, control can be accomplished among the complete emotional spectrum (insert shout out to Geoff Johns here).

Don't let your brain inform your heart on what your heart should be professional on and vice versa. Find a way for both to work together, because separately, they'll never be able to help you connect with others, but together they'll make you strong enough to understanding empathy, thoughtfulness, and tact.

-Chris Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment