Saturday, January 1, 2011

Awake My Soul

A common theme this time of year is change.

Today is the first of a new year as well as a brand new decade. To usher it in, I have decided to change the title of the blog. What was once Northern Light(s), is now Awake My Soul.

The reason for the change are simple, I have changed. If you've read the original blog post explaining the title, you'll know that it was a reference to a band that I do not listen to anymore.

I have not been writing new entries to the speed or level of what I've done in the past so I appreciate anyone who has kept up with it regardless of my slowness.

So here it is: New year. New me. New title.

Awake My Soul is a song by one of my favorite bands. This particular band is not one I see myself ever growing tired of. With powerful, soul stirring lyrics that strike hard with every line, it's hard to grow weary from their honest, genuine, and intense passion.

In these bodies we will live

In these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love
You invest your life
-Awake My Soul

Ah yes. Where you invest your love...you invest your life. If that does not resonate with your soul, you're clearly missing something. Love is a tricky subject. I've spent a lot of time avoiding the topic as a whole, but it is far too important to sweep under the rug.

Love is action. Love is raw. Love is wild. Love cannot be tamed, although we've attempted to civilize it which is why it becomes such a sought after topic.

Songs have been sung, movies have been filmed, and novels have been written all about the subject of love.

We, humanity, are drawn to it. No matter how much it may hurt us, something keeps bringing us back for more. That's because it is something that should be equally given as well as it is received. 

The human heart is fragile so we guard it, but love cannot be kept out. Love will find a way to breach all barriers that surround our weary souls.

Where does this leave us?

At some point, you must ask yourself, where do I invest my love?

If you are unsatisfied with the answer, I suggest you look deep within your soul, and find whatever it is that your heart beats for. It is a difficult journey of self-discovery, but it's one we all must constantly make.

Where do we start?

Well, I think a great place to start is by purchasing the album Sigh No More by Mumford & Sons. It will challenge you and it will change you...as long as you allow it to.

So as always, I invite you along for a new adventure. Join me through the discovery as well as the pain. Let your heart guide you through the turmoil, dirt and grime that comes with your humanity.

Let us all learn to live from the inside out.

-Christopher Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment