Friday, August 14, 2009

The Emotional Spectrum

Empathy: Understanding and entering into another's feelings.

Emotions are never what they seem.

It's hard to figure out what exactly it is I'm feeling at times. Whether it be compassion or anger or pain, sometimes it is just so hard to decipher which is which.

Lately it seems that empathy is being forced into my heart. I know the notion of something being forced on me is a wild accusation yet here I am, experiencing it.

I more than likely asked for this, without realizing it. Somehow along the way, God decided it would be a good idea to teach me how to feel for what others are going through. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to have empathy. It's really the contrary, I think it's a wonderful thing. I don't think that I've ever been more excited about emotions in my life!

There are an incredible amount of emotions that can take place in someone's life. Fear, courage, love, anger, hate, even pain seem to simply scratch the surface of the complexity that is the human heart. Many would argue that people would be better without emotions of any kind, just to cancel out the bad. Let's face it, horrible things have happened in the name of love, yet the greatest sacrifice was done with the same claim.

To get rid of love, courage, empathy and all the good, just to rid ourselves of evil feelings such as anger and hatred would be an empty experience for us. I've experienced apathy and you'd think that a life without caring would be ideal, but trust me it's not a place you want to be at.

Apathy sounds like freedom.

Empathy sounds like a prison.

So which is more powerful?

If Jesus asked us to become selfless beings who did nothing but take care of those in need, shouldn't empathy go hand it hand with that?

I don't believe we've been called to live a sheltered life behind our so called, "Emotions," yet we find an excuse that always seems to put us behind them.

Emotions are in need of being controlled, because they can influence us to do strange and awful things, but that does not give us an excuse not to listen to them.

Love will get you through pain. Courage will help overcome great fear. Empathy will help you destroy apathy.

So much good can come from emotions.

Follow your heart.

Trust your judgment.

Rely on your gut.

God gave them to you for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment