Sunday, September 6, 2009

Strength and Honor

Have you ever had one of those days where the realization that you are clueless hits you?

It's as though you're on top of the world one minute, than in the next your brain is in shambles from the confusion. Sometimes it just seems like you have the world figured out and nothing can get in your way, then you trip. You make a false step, and you're lying face down on the ground yelling for the voices to go away!

This morning was like that for me. You see, I've been doing outstanding lately. My relationships (as far as I can tell) are all great with my family, friends and God. Yet while I was sitting in church this morning I started to freak out. A rush of insecurities flooded through my heart and paralyzed me for a moment.

I've been thinking about the future a lot lately and I'm not sure where my life is going. So if you add that into the mix of what I was feeling, I was a mess! I started to question who I was and whether or not my friends even cared about me, and it was all unwarranted.

Thankfully, my friends do love me. After I left the main sanctuary from my church to get away from all the background noise, I found myself sitting alone in a chair so I texted a couple of friends of mine, reaching out for help. Both of them responded, but one of them in particular walked me through my problems.

What happened was I needed to be knocked down from my pedestal. It wasn't that I've been arrogant lately, but more like I was taking things for granted. I needed to be reminded who I was and that people do believe in me.

I needed to hear that I was good enough.

I often become focused on being strong. I've always wanted to be that guy who people can lean on when they are hurting. But what happens when I focus on strength is that I forget to take care of my own emotional needs and that's how days like today happen. I become broken.


I am completely wrecked.

What I needed was for somebody to be strong for me, so that I could see how it's done. Because strength isn't always about having everything figured out. Strength is about putting aside your own issues for a moment to see that there are bigger things happening than you.

Strength is about overcoming or forgetting about your own fear for a moment so that you can help others deal with theirs.

If there's anything I've learned in the last couple of years is that I cannot do this on my own. Life is too hard to go through it without trusting people. Life is too hard to live without friends. Life is too hard to go through it and not feel love.

Don't ever forget that you are loved by someone, even if it doesn't feel like it at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment