Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Overwhelming Awareness

A few weeks ago I had some thoughts that I meant to share, and I just never got around to doing so. I was sitting in a meeting for First Teams, and a song was played. The idea was to listen for "God thoughts" and I'm still not entirely sure if what I heard was actually in the song or not, but here was my thought.

When you (God) are here, am I aware of your presence?
What should I feel in those moments?
Should I be overwhelmed?
Should I feel calm?
Should I feel love?

I so often hear in church settings, that "God is here". God shows up, when the service goes a certain way. I can't say I have ever felt God in church, the way I've heard people describe it. It's very difficult for me to make a connection singing during a worship service, because I'm not passionate about singing. 


Traditionally speaking, I'm probably wrong for even thinking this way, but I don't feel God in those half hour moments on Sunday mornings. It's not that I don't try, because I do (not every week but I still try). 


I know that it would be pointless to address a situation without offering a solution, because maybe I'm not the only person who feels this way. I don't have a full answer for this. In fact, there are no absolutes in what I am writing right now. I will say this though, there are moments where I feel God. Mostly when I write.


I feel a closeness and a connection with my creator when I do something creative which I have been gifted in. Sometimes during a worship service, I'll have a notebook with me and I'll just write. I'll scribble down thoughts like this and see what happens. 


I'm not saying that it works this way for everyone. If you are a gifted basketball player, don't bring your ball to church Sunday morning, but understand that your gifts can be used in some way to worship.


This is most Christian Language that I've used in a blog, and it doesn't happen often, but understand my heart. I'm experimenting with a simple theory and so far it's working. That doesn't mean it's always going to work, but I want to encourage everyone to keep asking questions and to never stop pursuing your dreams and passions in God.


Let's do life together.

 

1 comment:

  1. I think people misunderstand what worship is. Most people, when they hear the word worship they think of music and singing, but that is not the case. Like you said many people can connect with God through writing thoughts or other things. Worship is whatever brings you closer to God. It is what gives you that connection to God's presence which transcends time and space. God is always present. We just have to find away to connect to him.

    ReplyDelete